This update is for the original CamRanger. The CamRanger mini performs firmware updates through the CamRanger app.
The latest CamRanger firmware version is 12 and adds support for the EOS R and fixes an issue with the PT Hub and firmware version 11. If this features is not needed and the CamRanger is functioning well then it is not necessary to update.
The CamRanger firmware can be updated with either a Mac or Windows computer, or for the cost of shipping, we will upgrade your firmware for you.
- There is a very small chance that something could go wrong during the upgrade process. Performing the upgrade just before an important shoot is not recommended.
- Basic computer and networking knowledge is required to perform this upgrade. For example knowing how to turn off WiFi or switch networks is required. This information is readily available online for each specific operating system.
- Ensure you have an updated application to work with the new firmware.
- If any step takes longer than 5 minutes, something is wrong and the program can be restarted
- Select the appropriate firmware download application for your computer: macOS or Windows
- Unzip the downloaded file and run the application
- You will be prompted to set up your CamRanger
- Turn your CamRanger on and wait for it to fully initialize (at least two lights on the CamRanger)
- Connect your charging cable to the CamRanger to avoid any power issues
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to your CamRanger (if prompted by Windows to specify the network type, select home)
- IMPORTANT: Connect the CamRanger directly to your computer and NOT through a router, hub, switch, etc.
- Ensure you do NOT have another network connection, such as WiFi connected to the Internet
- The computer’s network adapter must be set to DHCP (this is the default)
- On Windows, disabling the firewall and/or other types of Internet security programs may be necessary
- Note: The upgrade process can be done over WiFi, however, the CamRanger is turned off and on multiple times and after each time reconnecting to the CamRanger WiFi will likely be needed.
- Note: The included Ethernet cable can be difficult to remove and may require some wiggling.
- Click ‘Start’ to begin the process.
- NOTE: The following Pre-Step will only be run if updating from firmware version 1
- Pre-Step Click ‘Upgrade’ to begin the pre-step.
- After the pre step is complete, turn your CamRanger off and then back on.
- Wait for the CamRanger to fully initialize (at least two lights on the CamRanger) and then click ‘Continue’ End of Pre-Step.
- You will then be prompted to begin the upgrade. Click ‘Upgrade’.
- After the upgrade is complete, the CamRanger will restart itself.
- After it has finished restarting, click ‘Continue’ to confirm the upgrade process was successful.
- Be sure to update your CamRanger applications as well